WhaleFace is a platform that lets anyone contribute to the conservation of Southern Right Whales in south-east Australia. By submitting your sightings and photos of Southern Right Whale faces, you will be helping researchers monitor and protect this Endangered species.
We call this project WhaleFace because it is the unique patterns of white features (called callosities) on the Southern Right Whale’s head that help us identify and follow individual whales. The collection of whale faces captured help us to monitor Southern Right Whale movements, breeding patterns and trends in the south-east Australian population.
WhaleFace was developed to allow community members to easily contribute photos and sightings, build a community of Southern Right Whale citizen scientists, support meaningful scientific research, and provide updates about these incredible whales during the breeding season.
Whilst this project focuses on Southern Right Whales visiting Victorian waters, we also welcome sightings and photos of any other whale species as this information assists us to better understand, conserve and protect all species in Victorian waters.
Join WhaleFace to submit your sightings and learn more about our research. Register here then sign in below to submit whale sightings and upload photos. While we rely on photos and sighting information for our research, anyone is welcome to join the WhaleFace community and stay up to date with this important project.
WhaleFace contributes to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning’s (DELWP’s) whale research and monitoring project. It is supported by SWIFFT and the Centre for eResearch and Digital Innovation at Federation University.
- Southern Right Whale identification using photos project information and fact sheet
- Southern Right Whale research and monitoring project details and updates
- Southern Right Whale species profile
- To report a whale or dolphin in distress please call the DELWP Whale and Dolphin Emergency Hotline: 1300 136 017
- Learn more about Victoria's whale watching regulations
- Subscribe to WhaleFace news
- Contacts: Kasey Stamation (DELWP- Arthur Rylah Institute) - email@example.com
WhaleFace is supported by: